Tuesday, January 16

The Changing of the Guards

Funny, when I think of "America's black activists" these men are the last thing on my mind.
article: Obama's charm lost on America's black activists

Yet Obama’s charm and eloquence have not wooed the old guard.

“They are basically jealous,” said a Democratic strategist who has not yet decided which candidate he intends to support. “They’ve been toiling in the trenches for decades, and along comes this son of a Kenyan farmer and suddenly he’s measuring the drapes in the Oval Office.”

Sharpton, 52, is widely considered to have no better chance of winning the Democratic nomination than in 2004, when he never amassed more than a few percentage points in the polls but still made a national impact with his barnstorming performances in the televised primary debates.

When asked about Obama’s likely candidacy, the preacher, renowned for outrageous self-publicising antics, shrugged: “Right now we’re hearing a lot of media razzle-dazzle. I’m not hearing a lot of meat, or a lot of content. I think when the meat hits the fire, we’ll find out if it’s just fat, or if there’s some real meat there.”


It may be the obvious/over-simplified conclusion, but I do agree with the 'strategist', especially since The Reverend is involved.
How do I say this..? I've always felt that Al had high hopes of being the MLK of today, but just lacks the.... everything. He strikes me as much more interested in remaining relevant and in the spotlight than in finding constructive ways to improve social relations and conditions. He's reactionary and predictable - cartoonish. I feel guilty for saying it, too. But it's how I feel... I won't lie: I'm insulted that he walks around with his hair coifed and permed.
Anyway.
In a way, I'm comforted that Barack isn't being endorsed by Al or Jesse, but what "meat" aren't they hearing?
Right now, I don't see myself voting, and I'm one of those people a little scared for Barack's future, but I'm still very much excited by his decision to run. I wonder what Ms. Chisholm would say about this.

No comments: