Wednesday, January 2

It's About Time

She's Gotta Have It

It's really about control, my body, my mind. Who was going to own it? Them? Or me? I'm not a one-man woman. Bottom line. - N. Darling

She's Gotta Have It
is finally being released on DVD!
I don't know why I've always been slightly obsessed with this film. I caught glimpses of it at a film festival, while I was still in high school. What stood out to me was her resistance to letting men define her as a lover. I think I may have desired to be in Nola's situation, especially when I moved to NYC. I don't know why. She's a black girl, and she had natural hair way before it cool, and these very different men wanted her, and I think that's what made it a desirable situation to me. Seemed exciting. Then I got it, and it was messy, but thrilling - and made for an excellent story (much) later on.

No comments: