Monday, July 16

Proust Questionnaire

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Living in an environment that nurtures and inspires me, being loved and returning that love in full, knowing that there will be more love to come and feeling free to dance whenever I hear good music.

What is you greatest fear?
Dying before I'm ready.

What is the quality you most like in a man?
Confidence without arrogance, compassion.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Letting the idea of rejection stop me from doing things I know I'm good at.

What is your greatest extravagance?
Nice clothes and conversation.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Zora Neale Hurston.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?
The ability to sacrifice appearence for honesty.

What is your greatest regret?
Not pursuing photography more.

Which talent would you most like to have?
I'd like to be a great singer. Have perfect pitch, like Ella.

What is your current state of mind?
Take care of the earth, prepare for future babies, and teach the ones already here.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
I don't think any are overrated.

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Liliane of Liliane.

Who are your heroes in real life?
Grandma. Stevie Wonder. Dave Chapelle. Paolo Freire. Assata Shakur. Nina Simone. Sekou Sundiata.

What is your favorite occupation?
Spending hours in a darkroom developing photographs. And, of course, loving.

What is it that you most dislike?
Lies.

When and where were you happiest?
Summertime, in the company of those I can laugh with, dance with and proclaim my love for.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?
The spots on my face.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I don't really have words I overuse. I just sigh a whole lot.

What is your most marked characteristic?
A determined quietness, hip shake and a great outfit that didn't cost much.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd initiate more conversations with people that seem interesting.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
My mother. My sisters. And the babies, my niece and nephews.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
An absolute loss of faith and spiritual connection.

Who are your favorite writers?
Things haven't changed much since high school: Ntozake Shange, James Baldwin, Nikki Giovanni, Toni Morrison

If you could choose what to come back as, what would it be?
Maybe a jatoba tree.

What is your motto?
Teach the babies!

How would you like to die?
In my sleep, after I've experienced my hundredth birthday, after I've told everyone I love that love them, after I've danced myself into a state of nirvana, after I've eaten really good macaroni and cheese, after I've had some extra good lovin from a really good man, after I've told myself that I'm so proud of what I've done with this life. Not before that.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
So far, it has been dropping the armor, removing the mask and accepting myself.

What is your favorite journey?
One that begins with a good first laugh and my heart opening up, subsequently, to a new friend.

No comments: